Monday, June 17, 2024

May 30, 2024 - The day the world stopped

 It was a normal evening. David, Josh and Andrew had just returned home from baseball practice. We ate dinner. David and I talked current events, family schedules, finances, the usual. We cleaned up dinner and I laid down on the couch to relax for a few minutes. At 6:40pm I got a text that would change everything. My cousin texted: "My mom just called and told us about Steve. We are so sorry . . . please know that you guys are in our prayers."

What?!? What did your mom tell you about my dad? Why are you sorry? What happened!? 

I showed the text to David and we both decided not to panic - just figure out what was going on. The first thought in my mind was that maybe my dad had died - but NO WAY! So I determined that maybe he'd had a heart attack or something and was in the hospital. I thought my mom might be busy at the hospital with him so I called my sister, Audrey - no answer. 

I then called my sister Natalie. "What's going on with dad? I just got a text from our cousin that he's so sorry about Steve - why??" She responded, "I don't know - we left for a vacation this morning and we're on the road. I haven't heard anything." We decided she would call our sister in law, Amber and I would call our mom.

A few rings and mom answered. "Mom, what is going on?? I just got a text from our cousin that he's sorry about dad - why??" Mom . . . "I am so sorry, dad is dead."

"What?!!? What?!? No! No! This can't be real! No!!! How!?! No!!"

Mom: "I am so so sorry. We were at the gym exercising. He said he was going to sit down to rest and when I went to get him after I finished my work out, he was gone. I am so sorry."

This can't be real, this can't be real, this CAN'T be REAL!!!

But it was.


No comments: