Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Jaundice is a four letter word

I have a hate hate relationship with Jaundice. Both Seth and now Josh have had Jaundice beyond the minor need to sunbathe. Seth was readmitted to the hospital at 4 days old to soak under strong lights and Josh spent 2 days in the hospital before being released under lights and a week under lights at home. I am absolutely certain that Jaundice was the beginning of the end of nursing with both boys. I didn't want to do anything wrong, so I began to supplement several ounces after nursing (per Dr's 'orders'). It didn't take long for their appetites to grow faster than my supply and before long they refused to nurse. If I had it to do over again I would just nurse around the clock. After reading up more about Jaundice I've come to find that it's more common than we might think and even high levels for several weeks is not that uncommon. Anyway, live and learn!

sun bathing
you can faintly see Josh glowing


No comments: