Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Let's be Real



When I post something on my blog I want it to be true to life. Of course I want to be positive and up beat, but I want to be honest too. This is after all a journal of sorts, so why should I lie? Sometimes when I read other people's blogs I wonder how their lives can be so amazing? I read an article recently written by a so called, "young feminist atheist" about how she's obsessed with reading 'Mormon mommy blogs' because of the idea that 'the grass is always greener.' Essentially she feels that Mormon women are always happy, bake cookies and lounge around all day. As if being home with children is boring or we don't have enough to do. I respect the fact that she enjoys reading these blogs and I'm glad that they make family life seem enjoyable, but I think some of those blogs can be a bit out of reality. I mean, seriously, everyone has a bad day sometimes. And everyone snaps at their husband or snips at their children. We're not perfect. And sometimes we're just not happy and we don't know why. Some days I feel like I could pull my hair out, or like I just need to go for a very very very long drive. But at the end of each day, I wouldn't trade my life or my family for the world. The point is, it's not always easy and we mess up, but it's totally worth it. It's worth it because the purpose behind it all is so much greater than us. It's about raising these little people to be responsible, caring, sensitive, and loyal adults. And it's about helping them get back to their Father in Heaven. In the meantime we're allowing ourselves to be saved too. Parenthood is a refiner's fire. If we're trying to do it right we're stripped down to our true selves and every imperfection shows. And we can become better and say, "next time this happens I'll handle it differently, etc etc." Anyway, raising children is not easy, life is not easy, but it's so worth it!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I read that same article. I am with you!

Kara said...

AMEN! Thanks for posting this. The Blog world definitely needs some reality checks. Very well said.

Russell, Aimee and Savannah said...

I hear ya! Last night was a melt down for me! Put the kids to bed, sat on the couch watching American Idol and cried! Just burned out! But I get it out of my system, get a good nights sleep, wake up and love it all over again!!