Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day of Rest

I've had this post in my mind for quite some time. I remember the days when Sunday really was a day of rest. We would go to our regular church meetings and then come home and take a 3 hour nap. This was before we had children obviously and before David had leadership meetings. Our Sundays are quite a bit more hectic lately and it's probably our busiest day of the week. Here's a little review of our day:

6:25am - we hear the boys stirring
6:30 - David gets up to shower and the boys come out of their room (Luke helps Seth get out of his crib in the mornings)
6:45 - we all eat breakfast
7:20 - David leaves for his meetings, boys and I play in the living room and backyard . . .I attempt to read conference talks and scriptures
9:15 - boys watch Mickey Mouse while I take a shower and get ready (I need to get some living scriptures or something)
10:15 - David comes home!! we get the boys dressed and I finish getting ready
10:45 - go to church (David ended up in the hall most of the time even though I'm in the nursery, Seth usually wants him and doesn't want to be in nursery . . . such a stinker!)
2:15pm - home, quickly get the boys lunch, put Seth down for a nap and clean up the house
3:00 - home teachers come
3:40 - home teachers leave, continue cleaning up, getting dinner ready, Seth wakes up very cranky
4:00 - friends from David's program come over for dinner (they have twin girls Seth's age)
(4:30 - I would usually go to choir practice, but skipped today for dinner)
5:45 - friends leave and we go out front to let the boys play
6:00 - our neighbors (also in our ward) head to the park so the boys and I join them, meanwhile Dave leaves for a stake priesthood meeting
7:30 - get home, bathe boys, sing songs, pray, get them in bed
8:00 - start writing this post

Our Sundays are some variation of this with visiting teaching, home teaching, etc. and after reading this I feel like maybe I'm not very good at keeping the day holy. The boys end up playing in the yard a lot. I guess the biggest difference is that most of our day revolves around church and fulfilling our callings as home and visiting teachers. Even though it can be stressful and certainly doesn't seem like a day of rest, our home usually feels a little more peaceful. I would love any suggestions for Sunday activities with children. They're getting old enough that I want them to know that it really is a sacred day, so suggest away!

2 comments:

Marcus J. said...

i feel like sundays can be so exhausting! we don't do much with the girls, but we read church magazines, watch scripture stories (just the readers), do arts and crafts, video chat, watch americas funniest videos, go for a walk or bike ride, stuff like that. you just do the best you can when they're little! -audrey

TR said...

We try to keep them in their church clothes (even though they're little and messy) and their outside play doesn't seem to be as rough when they're dressed like that. We always have church music on and we let them color and draw a lot. (Letters to missionaries, pictures of the temple, etc.) It's hard though. I too often feel the Sabbath day is certainly not a day of rest anymore.