Sunday, February 7, 2010

Word to the 'Un'Wise

So, most of you are probably better mothers than me and would never give your almost 15 month old popcorn. I chose to avoid the crying, begging, whimpering, screaming, and leg clinging by just giving in and letting the boy have some . . . big mistake. Seth had had popcorn several times before, but yesterday he started choking terribly. He was coughing, gagging, and turning purple. David and I did our best to perform baby Heimlich, but nothing came up. After several minutes he finally calmed down and was breathing ok, but by bedtime I was afraid to let him go to bed because he was wheezing so badly. I took him to the ER (second time in one week for our family) at about 6:45pm. After seeing a nurse, PA, Dr, X-Ray guy, Respiratory Therapist, and an ENT it was decided that the ENT should scope his airway and lungs. At about 11pm he was put under and scoped and sure enough he had popcorn stuck in his left Bronchial tube. He came out of it great and we were able to leave a little before 1am. I wish I hadn't given him that popcorn, but now you can all learn from my mistake. No matter how much they throw a fit it's not worth it!

4 comments:

Russell, Aimee and Savannah said...

Sorry for the scare. I sware as a parent your heart ages like 5 years when ever an emergency like that! So glad to hear all is well! Love you!

Kevin, Amber & Jake said...

oh no! i bet that was so scary for you! glad hes ok!

Ashley said...

wow that is so scary! I have given Cade (15 months) popcorn too because he wants whatever we're eating...but never again! Thank you for sharing and I'm glad he was ok. You're a good mom for taking him in. Don't be hard on yourself.

Olsen Family said...

I never gave in to baby number 1 when it came to foods the experts say little ones should stay away from, but I confess I finally gave in to stubborn baby number 2 and let her have popcorn last week. This post will help me have stronger resolve next time. I am terribly sorry that you had to endure all those tests, and that you seem to be starting out the year with too many medical mishaps@