Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Gaining Independence

If you had to categorize my boys most people would probably define them as 'momma's boys.' This means they require a lot of individual/personal/constant attention. It is not uncommon to hear one of them say, 'momma!' while clinging to my legs and then raise their hands up for me to hold them . . . they are 3 and 5! I don't really know how this happened. I feel like I'm a pretty no nonsense mom, but apperantly not. I think for the past while we haven't had much of a routine or our own space for that matter. Things have been kind of crazy, and maybe they are clinging to me out of nervousness or anxiety. Either way, this momma needs a little space! It's high time these boys learn a little independence and my hope is that they will gain more confidence and be more happy over all in the end.
The first thing I've done is create easy access snacks in the pantry and fridge. I went to the dollar store and bought several easy open/clear containers and put all of their favorite snacks in them. They have loved being able to do this on their own. And, I think they are eating better than usual because I've put out healthier snacks that I don't mind them munching on throughout the day.
I also created a daily activities chart. They have a really tough time with transitions and hesitate when something gets 'sprung' on them without fair warning. I've been wanting to make a chart like this for a while (like over a year!) and finally got the motivation to do it. One day down and it's going pretty well. Luke especially has been excited about it and loved helping plan out the next day.
Here's to more independence!








Update on sleep - S is doing great now, sleeping nearly 12 hours straight . . . and L has suddenly developed a huge fear of spiders. So much that he was awake from 2-4am last night and has slept on our floor the past several nights. He is currently asleep in his own bed with a desk lamp on the floor next to him . . . hopefully tonight will be better than last night!

5 comments:

audrey said...

look at you! those are both great ideas, and something i might need to use once summer rolls around. being in school has made addy really want to plan and be on a schedule. it really does help if they know what to expect. sorry about the sleep issues - Lydia woke up crying last night because her tummy hurt? and was up from 3-4. i have honestly never had a sick child in the middle of the night, and i was not a happy camper this morning. good luck with luke!

Lauren said...

That is my resolution too but I have only done two posts! I have been meaning to do the snack thing too. miss you guys!

Ashley said...

Wow I love that chart! I will probably do something like that during the summer too.

Brittney said...

You gotta love little boys! I hope the sleep and spider situations improve soon. :)

I'm definitely interested in your in-laws place! That location would be ideal. The price is certainly a lot lower than I would have expected... Let me know any more info you have, or if there are pics or anything. Thanks for thinking of us!

Brittney said...

I just realized I should probably leave my e-mail address...

bmisiego@gmail.com

Thanks again!